BUSINESS STUDIES (AQA)
Hessle Sixth Form College
Who is the course aimed at?
Business A Level is attractive to students who:
- Intend to develop a career in the business world
- Are interested in starting their own business one day
- Want to develop the business acumen and skills needed in every career
How will you learn?
Throughout the course, we aim to develop learners who exhibit initiative ideas, independence of mind, investigative skills and an ability to examine and analyse problems. These aims are met through:
- Teacher led activities and interactive material to introduce new material
- Regular homework tasks for consolidation
- Use of dedicated text books and up to date resources
- Use of past exam materials and mark schemes
- Group work to produce ideas, solve problems and develop relevant skills
What will you learn?
The units studied are:
- What is business?
- Managers, leadership and decision making
- Decision making to improve marketing performance
- Decision making to improve operational performance
- Decision making to improve financial performance
- Decision making to improve human resource performance
- Analysing the strategic position of business
- Choosing strategic direction
- Strategic methods: How to pursue strategies
- Managing strategic change
How will you be assessed?
- Three written exam papers
- Each 2 hours in length
- Each evenly weighted - 33.33% of A Level qualification
Enrichment activities and independent learning?
- Contact with local organisations and other potential employers
- Opportunities to develop a good understanding of business decision making skills
- Visits to businesses
What or where next?
You could go on to study for a degree in one of the many business related courses, for example:
- Accounting and Finance
- Human Resources
In addition, this Level 3 qualification provides a framework of knowledge and skills that will improve employment opportunities in most sectors of industry and commerce.
For more information about this course please see the specification below or contact the sixth form team.