SPORT BTEC (National Extended Certificate Edexcel)
Available at Wolfreton Sixth Form
Who is the course aimed at?
This course is attractive to students who:
- Have an interest and enthusiasm for sport
- Enjoy applying sporting theory to practical situations in performance and coaching
- Enjoy discussing contemporary sporting issues
- Are interested in a career within the field, such as personal trainer, sports management or sports development officer
The BTEC National Extended Certificate in Sport is equivalent to one A Level.
How will you learn?
- Teacher led activities and interactive teaching introducing new material
- Regular homework tasks to consolidate new material and production of assignments
- The use of dedicated text books
- The use of exemplar exam papers and mark schemes
- The use of exemplar assignments and internet resources
- Taking part in debate and discussion
- Working in groups to solve problems and develop ideas
- Develop analytical skill in response to live performance
What will you learn?
- Anatomy and Physiology You will explore how the skeletal, muscular, cardiovascular and respiratory systems function and the fundamentals of the energy systems.
- Professional Development in the Sports Industry You will explore the knowledge and skills required for different career pathways in the sports industry. You will take part in, and reflect on, a personal skills audit, career action plan and practical interview assessment activities.
- Fitness Training and Programming for Health, Sport and Well-being You will explore client screening and lifestyle assessment, fitness training methods and fitness programming to support improvements in a client’s health and well-being.
Application of Fitness Testing You will gain an understanding of the requirements of fitness testing and learn how to safely conduct a range of fitness tests for different components of fitness.
How will you be assessed?
Assessment is 67% external and 33% internal as follows:
- Anatomy and Physiolog Written external exam - 1 hour 30 minutes 90 marks
- Fitness Training and Programming for Health, Sport and Well-being Task set and marked eternally - written submission 60 marks
- Professional Development in the Sports Industry Coursework marked internally Action plan, SWOT analysis, recruitment and selection. 60 guided learning hours
- Application of Fitness Testing Coursework marked internally Reports, presentation, fitness profile 60 guided learning hours
Enrichment activities and independent learning?
- Opportunities to complete a Sports Leadership qualification (Wolfreton)
- The Level 2 Certificate in Instructing Gym Based Exercise (Wolfreton)
- Wednesday afternoon offers the opportunity for extra- curricular sport with an expanding list of fixtures and sports available (Wolfreton)
What or where next?
Future opportunities for employment in the sector could include teaching, sport event management, leisure centre assistant and personal trainer.
Future opportunities to follow sports related courses at university or college include sports therapy, sports coaching, sport business management and teacher training.
For more information about this course please see the specification below or contact the sixth form team.